- a commision by Stoke Newington Festival, June 2001
by Ant Hampton and Silvia Mercuriali
with technical help by Ben Foot
and in collaboration with over 60 artists>
Oliver Alsop, Jackson Baird, David Barlia, John Bisset, Gaelle Bona, Lina Brocchieri, Eve Peasnall and Leonie Purchas, Brink of Distinction, Daniel Clift, Ralph Cree, Nick Daniel, Festerella, Ben Foot, Maria-Victoria Goertz and Fred Labbe, Barnaby Haslam, Britt Hatzius, Adem Ilhan, Incarnate, Bibi Jacob, Akiko Kobayashi, Odelia Lavie, Maloosh, Matthew Minkin, Muscleman Moses, Murmer, Jung Pioneers, Dave Richter, Matthew Rudkin, Gad Joseph Sabba, Neil Saffer, Goloss Ulitsa, Alice Scott, Mark Shearer and Andrew Blick, Shunt, Chris Singer, Fumio Tanga, Helena Thompson, Bobak Torabi, Vacuum Activity, Voltage,
CLICK HERE TO SEE ORIGINAL PROGRAMME + MAP OF SITE
ALL PHOTOS BY ANT HAMPTON UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICTAED. All photos by Leonie Purchas available to buy> contact email@example.com
THE FOLLOWING NUMBERED WORKS CORRESPOND TO THE NUMBERS ON THE PROGRAMME
1. Sculpture by Mandee Gage - lifesize crouching figure next to Frank Bostock's tombstone - a white lion. [behind which an installation by rotozaza - a hifi in a tent emmiting loud purring sounds]
2. Elves' heads by Brink of Distinction next to the bizarre graves for "dead elves".
Above photos by Leonie Purchas
3, 5, 7> All Police, Polar Bears, Sprinters by Rotozaza with Marc Shearer [bottom left], Andrew Blick, Adem Ilhan, Bobak Torabi [sprinter above], Gaelle Bona, Ralph Cree, Nick Daniel [top, policeman], Barnaby Haslam, Matt Minkin [top photo, in riot gear], Saf, Alex Hogg. Performances involved "real" policemen giving starting orders for sprinters, holding "get set" for excrutiating 10 minutes, then "GO", and the sprinter would fall on his face. He'd then slowly get up and walk into the trees at the end of a line of neon tubes where a polar bear would envelope him in his arms, and walk him off into darkness.
Polar Bear in Triumph = SAF
Triumph courtesy of MAGGIE, many thanks. Water sprayed onto the car and immobilised mid-air by strobe
4. Sound installation/ interview recordings on headphones by the bench by Lina Brocchieri, Eve Peasnall, Leonie Purchas. Interviews with various men who use the park daily. With thanks to all interviewed. Audio available here to listen soon...
6. inside Ruined Chapel> Murmur (Patrick McGinley) Thunderous live sound piece using generator as source of drone, and mixing sound from telescope walkietalkies [See NUMBER 26 on PAGE 3], and pigeons in rafters. From 11pm> Muscleman Moses> Paul Cook, Alex Hogg, Damian Castellanos.
Inside right hand tower> Soul Music by Alex Zika. Blood coloured liquid-filled glasses spin. Dip your finger in the liquid and gently touch the edge of the glasses to make harmonic ringing.
8. Chess, by Neil Saffer. Moving to point 11 and elsewhere throughout evening, depending on invisible adversary.
9. Malooosh and Inga Kalinga (iguana)
10. Bird/ Riot Policeman hybrid by Matt Rudkin.
11. Balloon Field by rotozaza, and super-8 film loop " I LOVED YOU " projected onto a giant balloon (centre) by Fumio Tanga. photo - Catherine Forrest
12. Projection by Ollie Alsop. A video projection of his face on a gravestone would imitate your expressions and gestures as you looked at him. Hidden in the bushes he used an infra red spycam to watch people walking along the path. He then made imitations of these people, copied their gestures and facial expressions, and an image of himself doing this was simultaneously projected onto a gravestone by the path. With thanks to Toby Duckworth.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 2
back to index of past work
contact us here > firstname.lastname@example.org
back to front page